The Purpose of Continuing Formation
To do our part in sharing in the mission of Jesus Christ, adult Catholics must be mature in faith and well equipped to share the Gospel, promoting it in every family circle, in every church gathering, in every place of work, and in every public forum. We must be women and men of prayer whose faith is alive and vital, grounded in a deep commitment to the person and message of Christ.
We are entering a period of new vitality for the Church, a period in which adult Catholic laity will play a pivotal leadership role in fulfilling the Christian mission of evangelizing and transforming society. For us to fulfill our roles our faith must be lifelong, just as we must continue to learn to keep up in the changing world in our jobs, our families and our society.
The qualities of a mature and adult faith life and discipleship include:
- Living Faith - a searching faith to find understanding (frequent reading of the Word of God, the writings of our tradition, involvement in our parish and diocesan life and the mission of the Church, participation in works of justice and service to the poor, and the fulfillment of our human obligations in family and society.
- Explicit Faith - a faith rooted in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ lived in the Christian community, a faith entered into through dialogue with the gospel message as professed by the teaching of the Church and lived by the people of God.
- Fruitful Faith - a faith which enjoys the fruits of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control ). Such fruits bear justice and compassion through active outreach to those in need, sharing the witness of Jesus to a world that is in need of love and justice.
Our goals are:
- Invite and Enable Ongoing Conversion to Christ in Holiness of Life - help to develop an attitude of conversion.
- Promote and Support Active Membership in the Parish Family - that our response to God's call to community cannot remain abstract and un-incarnated, but reveals itself concretely by a visible entry into a community of believers.
- Call and Prepare Adults to Act as Disciples in Mission to the World - to study and understand, then share the the message of Christ to renew and to transform the social and temporal order.